Sunday, August 9, 2009

United We Fall and Divided We Stand

FIND YOUR SPINE
No I didn't get my  "title" an age old adage upside down  and wrong.  Sadly it is the state that we find our nation in,  and its people are headed towards an actual physical clash of civil disobedience.

I usually try to highlight the differences between ideologies not by pointing fingers but by trying to hold both sides accountable.

However I feel in this instance when one side keeps pushing it is only going to be a matter of time before the other side pushes back.  That is if they ever get a spine.

As usual its the neo-con chickenhawks in our society fueling the ignorant with lies and misinformation to stoke hatred and fear, for their own corrupt corporate gains and to take care of their contributors and to fuck their constituents.  Instead of arming the right wing with policy talking points, and legitimate information to counter the left they (leaders and spokespersons from the right) are arming them with the encouragement of violence and subversion.  Counting again on the inability of a certain segment of society to know the difference between a disservice or a service.

When people are shouting out "keep government out of my medicare",  you know they are ignorant dumb asses marching to the orders of O'Reilly and Limbaugh.

They call for them to compare the leaders of the left to Hitler, they preach to them the ills of socialism, and lie to them saying that part of health reform entails the government to euthanize the elderly.

When people are supporting the continuation of the preexisting clause in health insurance and the escalating costs of even the shitiest HMO,  you can be sure that they are ill informed especially when they actually think that the government wants to euthanize them, and that Obama is not an American citizen.  If you believe in any of the things mentioned in this paragraph then there is a good chance that we will remain a divided country from here on out.

Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh to name a few along with some elected officials from the right are on a daily crusade to cause physical harm to elected officials from the left and in general anyone that doesn't buy into their sick version of conservatism.

They and others like them are taking the principles of conservatism and are distorting the truth about matters that will help all Americans.  They like to hide behind the shield of conservatism while spewing hatred and hoping for the worst possible outcome of left wing policies without any regard for America or Americans.

They are no better than the Islamic terrorist that hide behind their religion to propel their agenda at any cost too.

When Bush and company had to deal with 9/11 the whole country rallied behind him including the left, not to mention most of the world.

Now with America facing two wars, rising unemployment, record home foreclosures, a collapsing economy on the brink of a deep recession or depression.  Where was the support from the right?

Maybe it is time for this country to split.  I am certain that I don't want to live in a country where the ideals of this type of conservatism are shoved down my throat.

Rob August 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM

The tone of the post is generally too extreme for my tastes. Examples: comparing contemporary conservatives to terrorists and saying "Maybe it is time for this country to split." However, it does make some excellent points. The extent to which Republicans are taking advantage of Americans' fears is despicable. I like your last paragraph, "Whatever happened to the Eisenhower Republicans? Now that was principled conservatism that you could live with." America needs to see a return of a principled conservative party that can legitimately contribute to the dialog of reform. Contemporary elected Republicans are, at best, on the periphery of the political spectrum.

Thunter August 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thunter August 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

On Saturday we crossed a political milestone when we reached the 35th anniversary of Richard Nixon resigning from the presidency. I was watching C-span history as I am want to do on any given Saturday and there were many people talking about the good things that Nixon accomplished while he was in politics. I was very surprised to learn that he had promoted a health care bill that was even stronger than the bills that are being proposed in
Congress. It has been so long since the Neo-Cons took over the Republican party, I had forgotten that there were once conservatives that actually had a heart! Could this be those Eisenhower Republicans you mentioned? I think so... Oh if only we could return to the days before Reagan and Neo-Con induced hell.

Joseph M. Fasciana August 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM

To Rob,

I had to make that comparison the far right leaves me little choice when they are calling Obama (not that I love all his policies) and other lefties Hitler, and referring to me as a nazi because I don't like the conservative ideals or their tone.

I agree the talk of a split is exreme, but I didn't start it, I am just agreeing with the righwingnut governors that are are calling for secession. Good riddance to bad rubbish is the way I see it.

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate your view points. I also signed up to follow your blog too.

To Thunter,

I have to admit that even though I am left of center I have my favorite Republican Presidents besides Abe and Teddy Roosevelt, I liked Ike and least liked but never the less liked was Nixon despite watergate.

Thanks for stopping by, I haven't been blogging much or making my usual visits to my favorite blogs, I have been sick and not feeling to well as of late, but I am going to try and get back slowly. Talk soon.

myundiary@gmail.com August 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

You know I agree. Very strong tone and I can feel your passion. I wrote a similar post on my site. The government is killing people. They are murderers! No health insurance. People get sick or die. So what! This is the message that they are sending out.

Thunter August 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Hope you get better soon! The blogosphere needs you! Take care my friend!

SpkTRUTH2Pwr August 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM

A fiery post. But I do agree with some of your points about the tactics of neo-conservatives. I wrote a post on this the other day at http://youngwritersblock.org on Fanaticism as the extreme antonym to apathy. it is unfortunate because the justification is "we are speaking out", however the way that many conservative leaders choose to express themselves detracts from the plethora of other people that may actually have a legitimate question about the new healthcare reform.

Dee August 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I find all the inconsistencies fascinating. I'm really starting to believe that media and politicians have enough sway to "program" people. This is very obvious on the right side as people are shouting that they don't want government-run care, want their Medicare untouched, yet fail to recognize that Medicare IS a government-run company.

Politicians support living will and end-of-life counseling until it becomes politically expedient not to do so. "Patriots" and "real Americans" hate health care reform, but while we were busy spending billions a day in Iraq, not a peep.

I hope that the reformers can do a better job of disseminating the truth.

Jason August 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM

This is a great site that you have here. It's important that you have a site that focuses on both sides, so keep up the good work. I have a site myself where people can voice their opinion and debate on some of the most controversial topics out there today.

Anyway, good work and maybe we can do a link exchange or something.

Sincerely,
Jason

Suzan August 28, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Whoa, boy!

Thanks for all you do to inform the ignorant masses (some of whom I've noticed in the comments here!).

Kudos!!!!!

S

P.S. And Nixon didn't have a heart. Everyone knows that. He was reared as a Quaker and was still trying to make his Mother proud of him, thus his reputation of being a domestic program progressive.

As usual its the neo-con chickenhawks in our society fueling the ignorant with lies and misinformation to stoke hatred and fear, for their own corrupt corporate gains and to take care of their contributors and to fuck their constituents. Instead of arming the right wing with policy talking points, and legitimate information to counter the left they (leaders and spokespersons from the right) are arming them with the encouragement of violence and subversion. Counting again on the inability of a certain segment of society to know the difference between a disservice or a service.

cheap nintendo dsi r4 February 1, 2010 at 8:54 AM

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL, a favorite toast, in varying forms, of political orators from Benjamin Franklin to Abraham Lincoln. It gained currency after John Dickinson's "Liberty Song" was published on 18 July 1768, in the Boston Gazette.

Anonymous,  February 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

This is so true. My family was always Republican and my husband and I were the same up until the days of Nixon. So many of our friends and family are Republican, but now I am realizing that they are still clinging to the former principles of conservatism. I am hoping that the events unfolding in Wisconsin and other states such as New Jersey and Florida will help people understand what they voted for. I'm sure what is happening is not what they expected when they voted.
As far as the future is concerned, legitimate government cannot return until the Supreme Court decision to allow contributions to political campaigns from any souce is overturned.
Abbi