Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Land of Opportunity

I am beginning to wonder if the needs of the population at large will ever be addressed. I believe that we will need to hire lobbyist of our own in order to get the attention of our ever more aloof politicians that have no intention of enacting any policies that will help the common folk that have built this country with their hard work, and the blood they have shed from the many wars that they have fought, in the name of freedom.

The political machine seems to be fixated with tending only to the needs of their corporate contributors, by bailing them out at any cost. They also seem content to continue their divisiveness, to point fingers and to obstruct each other, and to politicize anything that they think that will give them an edge come election time.

They do this openly right in front of our faces. They have no respect for us or our votes. They trust more in our ignorance than in our diligence, they cater only to the demands of lobbyists and to no one else.

No president including Obama has the means to end the power that corporations have over the masses. We are all slaves to the culture of corrupt capitalism that has been enabled by years of deregulation. It has let these Wall Street crooks march through their companies and steal as much as they could carry, all financed by the 401k plans of the average Joe. Then after that they let their house of cards tumble along with the hopes and aspirations of the middle class.

Here are some of the more obvious results of the aforementioned, by the way as the media and politicians choose to ignore as tent cities pop up throughout our nation, " The Land of Opportunity." Here are the facts.

As many as 3.5 million people experience homelessness in a given year (1% of the entire U.S. population or 10% of its poor), and about 842,000 people in any given week.

1.37 million (or 39%) of the total homeless population are children under the age of 18

Familial composition
* 40% are families with children—the fastest growing segment.
* 41% are single males.
* 14% are single females.
* 5% are minors unaccompanied by adults.

Backgrounds.
* 23% are veterans (compared to 13% of general population).
* 25% were physically or sexually abused as children.
* 27% were in foster care or similar institutions as children.
* 21% were homeless at some point during their childhood.
* 54% were incarcerated at some point in their lives.

Education
* 38% have less than a High School diploma.
* 34% have a High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
* 28% have more than a High School education.

Employment
* 44% report having worked in the past week.
* 13% have regular jobs.
* 50% receive less than $300 per month as income.

Until we demand that our political system is not run by lobbyist and Wall street criminals these numbers will not only continue to expand, they will weaken the fiber and security of our country. No one that we elect into office will do this for us, not even Obama, as he has already demonstrated by hiring lobbyist into his cabinet by issuing a waiver. Waive this.

masterwordsmith March 30, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Dear Joseph,

I hear you loud and clear because it is the same in my country.

Alas, the future seems bleak as the New World Order seems to be quite bent on achieving their ends.

As for the rest of us, there is much that we can do, especially to watch and pray and to raise awareness. Apart from that, there is little power that we have. We know we has that.

So sorry to sound like a prophetess of doom.

Sometimes when I look at what is happening all around the world, I can only conclude that mankind is regressing in many ways.

Take care and thanks for your earnest and sincere voice in this post.

askcherlock March 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM

What you have stated are unfortunate truths, though I still have hope that Obama will be more effective in addressing the issues you delineated than the previous administration. Perhaps it comes down to us as individuals. We have the option of picking up causes and helping where we can. That is one facet of Democracy which has not been tarnished. We can raise awareness, as you so aptly do here. We can volunteer. We can donate not only money, but more importantly, time. By its nature, politics has corruption within its system. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Keep raising that awareness flag. You are helping to have voices heard. We must hope that someone, especially someone in power will hear the call.

Del Patterson March 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Joseph,

I keep harping of the Corporatocracy of it all..
Let's see the "gilded age" boys get a bailout and the commoner will not even see the $400 that Obama promised.
The rich keep getting the welfare check but the poor woman/man drawing food stamps is excoriated as if they were the plague. Go figure.

The Law March 31, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I remain hopeful that the Obama administration is going to come through for us. If I may quote an aptly appropriate campaign chant (albeit from the losing team) "help is on the way." I believe this because unlike Bush, Obama *has* been in our shoes, and lived in a poor country, and had an identity crisis, and worked hands on with the poor.

He's not even 3/4 into his "first 100 days yet" so I remain willing to extend my benefit of the doubt for a while longer. And as others eluded, we can do our part, in being aware of whats going on int he world and spreading the word to whomever will listen. What is missing in this country is political dialogue. Doesn't matter who's right or wrong, but until a conversation is going, it is difficult to hold our elected officials accountable.

Thus the paradox: Our lack of faith in our political system and the politics is there very reason why our system has become corrupt.

Joseph M. Fasciana April 2, 2009 at 12:53 AM

To All,

I don't mean that the focus of this post is aimed squarely at Obama. I just feel that at some point if a political leader no matter who doesn't step up and make the abrupt changes (to eliminate lobbyist) that are needed to make government work for the people as it was originally intended to, the corporate lobbyist control our destiny, and its not fair. The present system will keep on working for only the rich and only for corporate America. The proof is before us all.

To Del,

I have been trying to post comments on your blog but I when I try it just erases my comment instead of saving it to your blog. It seems to be a recurring theme with me and any blog using the pull down verification method. I'm not sure if it is my problem or the blogs that use this method. In any case I went back to this original method myself and my comments seemed to increase.

Regards To All,

Calvin Brock January 22, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Here are the top 20 social bookmarking websites for generating fresh back links to your site. All of these contain DO follow, ensuring links leading to your website will count within the search engines as a valid back link. Social Bookmark