I am beginning to wonder if the needs of the population at large will ever be addressed. I believe that we will need to hire lobbyist of our own in order to get the attention of our ever more aloof politicians that have no intention of enacting any policies that will help the common folk that have built this country with their hard work, and the blood they have shed from the many wars that they have fought, in the name of freedom.
The political machine seems to be fixated with tending only to the needs of their corporate contributors, by bailing them out at any cost. They also seem content to continue their divisiveness, to point fingers and to obstruct each other, and to politicize anything that they think that will give them an edge come election time.
They do this openly right in front of our faces. They have no respect for us or our votes. They trust more in our ignorance than in our diligence, they cater only to the demands of lobbyists and to no one else.
No president including Obama has the means to end the power that corporations have over the masses. We are all slaves to the culture of corrupt capitalism that has been enabled by years of deregulation. It has let these Wall Street crooks march through their companies and steal as much as they could carry, all financed by the 401k plans of the average Joe. Then after that they let their house of cards tumble along with the hopes and aspirations of the middle class.
Here are some of the more obvious results of the aforementioned, by the way as the media and politicians choose to ignore as tent cities pop up throughout our nation, " The Land of Opportunity." Here are the facts.
As many as 3.5 million people experience homelessness in a given year (1% of the entire U.S. population or 10% of its poor), and about 842,000 people in any given week.
1.37 million (or 39%) of the total homeless population are children under the age of 18
* 40% are families with children—the fastest growing segment.
* 41% are single males.
* 14% are single females.
* 5% are minors unaccompanied by adults.
* 23% are veterans (compared to 13% of general population).
* 25% were physically or sexually abused as children.
* 27% were in foster care or similar institutions as children.
* 21% were homeless at some point during their childhood.
* 54% were incarcerated at some point in their lives.
* 38% have less than a High School diploma.
* 34% have a High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
* 28% have more than a High School education.
* 44% report having worked in the past week.
* 13% have regular jobs.
* 50% receive less than $300 per month as income.
Until we demand that our political system is not run by lobbyist and Wall street criminals these numbers will not only continue to expand, they will weaken the fiber and security of our country. No one that we elect into office will do this for us, not even Obama, as he has already demonstrated by hiring lobbyist into his cabinet by issuing a waiver. Waive this.