Sunday, March 1, 2009

Anarchistic Governors Hurt the Unemployed

During the 14 months from December 2007 through January 2009, the total number of mass layoff events (seasonally adjusted) was 25,712, and the number of initial claims (seasonally adjusted) was 2,632,336. (December 2007 was the start of a recession as designated by the National Bureau of Economic Research.)

The national unemployment rate was 7.6 percent in January 2009, seasonally adjusted, up from 7.2 percent the prior month and from 4.9 percent a year earlier. In January, total nonfarm payroll employment decreased by 598,000 over the month and by 3,500,000 from a year earlier.

I didn't pull these numbers out of some liberals ass, they come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. When these rebellious Republican Governors refuse to take stimulus money for their states, especially money for food stamps that return $1.39 to our economy for every $1.00 in food stamps used, or money to extend unemployment benefits so that families can feed their kids and buy medicine, or to keep civil servants from getting laid off, (police, firemen, first responders, teachers, etc.) then the Governors choosing ideology over the needs of the people should be impeached.

It is also incumbent on the President to make sure that his Labor Secretary Hilda Solis is not dragging her feet, and starts to immediately fund shovel ready infrastructure jobs. I see no sense of urgency from the left or the right as 20,000 jobs are being lost every month. Americans are hurting and they really are in trouble, and it seems like the no one gets it. Especially the Americans at the top percentile of wealth.

I thought by now there should have been at least a few ground breaking ceremonies that would be signaling the start of the rebuilding of our country.

Walt March 1, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I've worked in government for 30 years. I had to help make up some of those labor statistics, they are always worse than what the government tells the public. I'm so sick of all the lies, and deception. I could never do that again.

masterwordsmith March 1, 2009 at 7:21 AM

It is sad that the Big Brother of the World is not meeting the needs of its people. What about the elected representatives? Are they lobbying for any change then?

Things are pretty dismal even in the part of the world where I come from and it is exacerbated by the turbulence in the political scenario.

Take care and best wishes to you, yours and your nation.

Walt March 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

The government bailout of failed financial institutions locks you into years of debt payments in behalf of the large private banks, debts that you did not create.

Joseph M. Fasciana March 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM

I agree about institutional bailouts being a bad idea. What I do support is money going to education, and infrastructure projects to create jobs, and I want off this dependency of OPEC, we also could use some tax cuts with the rest of the money. I think it is a bad idea to lay off first responders we are already short handed as it is, crime is rampant, houses still catch on fire and people get sick and in accidents. Even rich ones.

conservative generation March 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM

There are some things in the stimulus that are good ideas and some that are bad. However, to be fair to the governors (and I will single out Jindal for ease of making my point). Jindal has not said that he would not take the money, but that he was investigating whether it would be economical to do so. Jindal is working out how to spend the money should he accept the funds. As you've stated, it's not as though the checks are ready to be mailed and accepting this money does require states to make certain changes to their law (this is unconstitutional by the way).

To some, probably many in this forum, this "consideration" is seen as partisan posturing. Maybe so, however, I read the fine print before signing any contract myself. Until he flat out denies the funds, the worst charge that can be leveled is that he is feigning common sense for political gain. You may want to wait until he rejects it before coming to an impeachment conclusion (which may or may not be warranted). Here's my source below.

Joseph M. Fasciana March 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM

To C Generation,

Your pointing out valid substance in your comment. I don't know about the constitutionality of the bill, I do know that I don't agree with it fully. Only the measures that I feel will help struggling Americans, I need to give you a source reference (which I haven't) to point out Jindal
as a Gov who is going to take a large chunk of the package but is not going to take stimulus money that is going directly to populist issues like unemployment. I will try to find the statement.

Del Patterson March 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Excellent article.
My belief is that those leaders who speak out against the stimulus program "should" reject any monies that come to their respective states and truly face the wrath and the future negative vote of citizens. Come on, already, they should have enough backbone to stand behind their philosophy. Personally, I think it's disgusting that they could stick out one hand out for stimulus money while holding up a sign with the other that says: "I hope the plan fails"

Keeper March 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM

The plan will, and is intended to fail. This is the crime of all crimes. They intend to so inflate the dollar as to make all the foreign investments in our currency worthless, completely devastating the world's economy, and thus level the playing field to their advantage.

conservative generation March 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Joseph - Please send me the article. Law pointed out something similar to me earlier, but could not find it. So I went with a Louisiana news source since the local news often has more information on what's going on than the national news outlets.

Keeper - Inflation? Maybe. Though I fail to see the political gain in the conspiracy. I'm pretty sure the Democrats will be punished severely if hyper inflation occurs. However, if you are paying attention to the markets, people are betting on the dollar. That's a sign that investors are expecting deflation in the future.

Tammy March 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Walt March 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM

The last time there was a depression we had real money, backed by gold ans silver.

The Law March 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I am with you on this one for sure. Something C Generation pointed out in my blog that I hadn't considered is the bureaucratic procedures... the bidding for projects, the paperowrk, the hoopla... and even the most well intentioned effort to get the ball rolling will probably take time we don't have. So for all of our sake, I really hope Labor Secretary Solis gets to work quickly... time is off the essence if the Stim bill is to succeed